Mefenamic acid and dicyclomine hydrochloride are the two active components in the drug known as Meftal Spas. It is frequently used to treat dysmenorrhea or menstrual cramps’ painful and uncomfortable symptoms.
A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (NSAID) called mefenamic acid aids in lowering pain, inflammation, and fever. It prevents the body from producing specific chemicals that lead to inflammation and pain.
The smooth muscles in the uterus and intestines can be relaxed with the aid of the antispasmodic medication dicyclomine hydrochloride. It can lessen the cramps and spasms related to menstruation pain.
Meftal Spas are usually sold in tablets, therefore it’s vital to adhere to the dosage recommendations that your doctor or chemist gave you or those listed on the container. Typically, it is consumed orally with or without food.
Meftal Spas may have negative effects, just like other medicine. Dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, and abdominal discomfort are examples of common adverse effects. Before using Meftal Spas, it is best to speak with your doctor or chemist to be sure it is appropriate for your unique circumstances and to go through any possible side effects or interactions with other medications you may be taking.
Benefits of meftal spas
- Menstrual pain relief: Meftal Spas are generally used to reduce the pain and discomfort brought on by menstrual cramps. While dicyclomine hydrochloride relaxes the smooth muscles, minimizing spasms and cramping, mefenamic acid, an NSAID, aids in lowering inflammation and pain.
- Effects on inflammation: Mefenamic acid, an NSAID, has anti-inflammatory characteristics that may help lessen swelling and inflammation and so provide more relief from menstruation discomfort.
- relaxing of the muscles: The antispasmodic drug dicyclomine hydrochloride aids in the relaxing of the smooth muscles of the uterus and intestines. The cramps and spasms related to menstrual pain can be reduced by muscle relaxation.
- Convenience: Meftal Spas is offered as a tablet, making oral administration with or without food simple. Easy transportation and use are made possible by this convenience.
What are the side effects of Meftal Spas?
- Feelings of dizziness or lightheadedness: Some people may feel woozy or lightheaded after using Meftal Spas.
- Meftal Spas have been known to make some people feel sleepy or drowsy. If you encounter this side effect, it is best to refrain from engaging in stressful tasks like driving or operating large machinery.
- Dry mouth: The use of Meftal Spas may cause dry mouth. Keeping hydrated and utilizing chewing gum or sugar-free lozenges can aid with this symptom’s relief.
- Vision blur: A side effect of Meftal Spas may include blurred vision or difficulty focusing. If this occurs, it is advised to refrain from tasks that call for sharp vision until the effect passes.
- Effects on the digestive system: Meftal Spas may have adverse effects on the digestive system, including nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, and constipation. These symptoms may be lessened by taking the drug with food or by changing the dosage.
- Allergic reactions are uncommon, however, they can happen to some people when using Meftal Spas. Rash, itching, swelling (particularly of the face, tongue, or neck), extreme dizziness, or trouble breathing are all indications of an allergic reaction. In the event that you have these symptoms, get medical help right away.
- Other possible adverse effects of Meftal Spas include increased heart rate, difficulties urinating, changes in mood or behavior, or skin responses. These side effects are less frequent.
How to Choose a Meftal Spa
- Consultation with a healthcare expert: Before beginning any drug, it is usually advised to speak with a healthcare professional, such as a doctor or chemist. They can evaluate your unique situation, medical history, and other aspects to decide if Meftal Spas is a good fit for you and offer advice on the right dosage.
- Check whether Meftal Spas products are offered in your area or nation. Also, note their formulation. Although it is commonly sold as tablets, there may be several strengths or varieties. Your healthcare provider can provide you with advice on the precise formulation that best suits your requirements.
- Discuss any pre-existing medical disorders you may have, such as liver or renal disease, digestive problems, or allergies, as these may affect your appropriateness for Meftal Spas. In order to prevent such interactions, you should also let your healthcare provider know about any additional medications you are taking.
- adverse effects and safety measures: Become familiar with the possible adverse effects and safety measures related to Meftal Spas. Dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, and abdominal discomfort are examples of common adverse effects. Knowing these helps guide your decision-making and prepare you for what is to come.
- Personal preferences: Take into account elements like the simplicity of use, dose recommendations, and any particular preferences you might have. For easy swallowing, some persons like coated tablets or lower tablet sizes.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Meftal Spa Experience
- Consult a medical expert: Before beginning Meftal Spas or any drug, speak with a medical expert, such as a doctor or chemist. Based on your particular requirements and medical history, they can advise you on the proper dosage, length of use, and any other special recommendations.
- Observe the dosage instructed: Follow the dosage recommendations listed on the product’s packaging or those given by your healthcare provider. Never take more of the medication than is necessary or for longer than is recommended.
- Follow the directions carefully: Follow the manufacturer’s advice and take Meftal Spas with or without meals. It’s crucial for maximum effectiveness to adhere to the dosage recommendations for timing and frequency.
- Use Meftal Spas for the proper reason: This product is primarily designed to ease menstruation pain. Make sure you are using it as directed by your healthcare provider and for the right indication.
- Be steadfast: It’s crucial to stick to your dosing plan in order to get the full benefits of Meftal Spas. For menstruation discomfort, take it daily as directed or as needed.
- Watch how you react: Pay close attention to how Meftal Spas affect your body. For additional assessment and advice, speak with your healthcare provider if you discover that it is not relieving your symptoms sufficiently or if you have any unexpected adverse effects.
- Meftal Spas can help relieve menstruation pain, but you should also think about combining its effects with those of other pain treatment techniques. This can entail using a heating pad on the abdomen, engaging in relaxation exercises like yoga or deep breathing, exercising frequently, and leading an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Know the potential side effects: Become familiar with Meftal Spas’ potential side effects. Inform your healthcare provider right away if you develop any negative side effects that are severe or persistent.
- Report any alterations: Inform your healthcare provider if your symptoms get worse or if Meftal Spas are not relieving them enough. They can assess your condition and decide whether you need to make any adjustments or switch to alternative treatments.
What are the storage instructions for Meftal Spas?
- Mefthal Spas should be kept at room temperature, which is usually between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius (68 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit). Avoid subjecting it to severe extremes, like intense heat or subfreezing temps.
- Light and moisture: Keep Mefthal Spas away from too much light and moisture. Keep it dry and away from moisture sources, and keep it out of direct sunlight.
- To avoid accidental consumption by children or animals, keep Mefthal Spas in its original child-proof container.
- Keep it away from children and pets: To prevent accidental consumption, keep Mefthal Spas in a safe place that is out of their reach.
- Avoid transferring: Unless specifically told to do so by a healthcare provider or chemist, do not transfer Mefthal Spas into separate containers.
- Examine the expiration date of Mefthal Spas often, and safely dispose of any prescriptions that are no longer needed or have passed their expiration date. Medication that has expired may no longer be as effective or potent.
What are the overdose symptoms of Meftal Spas?
Mefthal Spas, a drug that includes both mefenamic acid and dicyclomine hydrochloride, can be toxic in overdoses and may necessitate rapid medical intervention. It is important to follow a doctor’s prescription exactly and to never take more medication than is advised. Get medical attention right away or call your local poison control center if you think you may have taken more than is recommended or have taken an overdose.
There are a number of symptoms associated with Mefthal Spas overdose, and these symptoms might change based on the dosage and personal variables. Among the potential overdose signs are:
- Effects on the gastrointestinal system: Enhanced risk of gastrointestinal side effects, including ulceration, severe stomach discomfort, nausea, and vomiting.
- Excessive sleepiness, confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, seizures, or loss of consciousness are all impacts of the central nervous system.
- Effects on the cardiovascular system include irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, or modifications in heart rhythm.
- Breathing shallowly or with difficulty are respiratory consequences.
- Having trouble urinating or being unable to urinate.
- Excessive sweating, dry mouth, flushed skin, dilated pupils, or allergic reactions are some additional possible side effects.
What are the emergency instructions for Meftal Spas?
- Immediately call your local emergency services or visit the nearest emergency department if you or someone else is having severe symptoms or a negative reaction after taking Mefthal Spas.
- Contact poison control: Call your local poison control office or hotline if you believe someone may have accidentally consumed Mefthal Spas or taken an overdose. They are able to advise on how to proceed and any first aid procedures that may be required.
- When requesting emergency assistance, be prepared to provide pertinent information, such as the drug’s name (Mefthal Spas), its active ingredients (mefenamic acid and dicyclomine hydrochloride), the dosage or strength used, the time the medication was consumed, and any symptoms that may be present.
- After requesting emergency assistance, heed the advice of the medical staff by adhering to their recommendations. They will evaluate the problem, administer the necessary care, and keep a careful eye on your status.
What are the possible interactions of Meftal Spas?
- Mefthal Spas may increase the risk of gastrointestinal adverse effects or bleeding when taken with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
- Mefthal Spas may interact negatively with anticoagulants (blood thinners) or antiplatelet drugs, increasing the risk of bleeding. It may be required to closely monitor patients and alter dosages.
- Antacids and Acid-Suppressing Drugs: Using Mefthal Spas along with antacids or acid-suppressing medications may impair how well the body absorbs mefenamic acid. It’s recommended to take Mefthal Spas at least two hours before or after taking these drugs.
- Drugs that are anticholinergic: Mefthal Spas contains the anticholinergic substance dicyclomine. You run a higher chance of experiencing side effects like dry mouth, hazy vision, constipation, or urine retention if you take it together with other drugs that have anticholinergic effects.
- Water tablets intended to treat illnesses like high blood pressure or edema may become less effective when used with Mefthal Spas.
- Lithium: Taking lithium, a drug used to treat bipolar illness, together with Mefthal Spas may raise the levels of lithium in the blood. Lithium levels in such situations must be closely monitored.
- Mefthal Spas may also interact with several drugs taken to treat heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and psychological issues. Furthermore, it could have an impact on how drugs like smoke or alcohol interact with it.
*Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided in this article is for educational purposes only and should not replace professional medical advice. Consult a healthcare professional for personalized guidance and recommendations regarding the use of Meftal Spas or any other medication.
Author Contribution: Reviewed by Rajeshwar Rao, Pharm D.